"About 1796 near this spot, the river view resembling that of Lyons, France, led Charles Williamson to rename 'The Forks' settlement" - Lyons -
The Town of Lyons was incorporated in 1823 when Wayne County was formed from parts of Ontario and Seneca Counties and Lyons became the designated County Seat. The Village of Lyons was incorporated in 1831.With the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, the village developed as a center of commerce and industry for the surrounding agricultural area. Later, Lyons held prominence as a major division point on the New York Central Railroad.
There is a rich and diverse sampling of architectural styles throughout the township, dating from the eighteenth century to the present.
For more than 160 years one of Lyons leading industries was the H.G. Hotchkiss Essential Oil Company, founded in 1839 and bringing international recognition to Lyons as the "Peppermint Capital of the World".
Today, Lyons continues to serve as a center of government, industry, and agriculture.